Dicksonia Antarctica 30-40cm 1 foot
Dicksonia Antarctica 30-40cm 1 foot
Dicksonia Antarctica - Description
- Latin Name: Dicksonia antarctica
- Common Name: Soft Tree Fern
- Other Names: Tasmanian Tree Fern
- Indoors or Outdoor: Typically grown outdoors
- Size: Dicksonia Antarctica can reach a mature height of 3 to 4 meters with a similar spread.
Dicksonia Antarctica - Delivery
- Delivery Info: Your healthy Dicksonia Antarctica plant will be carefully packaged and shipped directly to your doorstep, ready for planting.
Dicksonia Antarctica - Characteristics
- Mature Size: These tree ferns can grow to an impressive size, typically reaching heights of 3 to 4 meters.
- Evergreen or Deciduous: Evergreen, maintaining lush fronds throughout the year.
- Preferred Position: Partial to full shade, with protection from harsh afternoon sun.
- Shape - Plant Characteristics: Characterized by a striking and arching crown of large, feathery fronds.
- Hardy or Not Hardy: Hardy in some Irish climates but may need winter protection in colder regions.
- Diseases: Generally disease-resistant, although fungal issues can occasionally arise.
Dicksonia Antarctica - Uses
- Uses in Garden: Dicksonia Antarctica is a marvelous addition to any garden, creating a prehistoric and tropical atmosphere. It works well as a focal point or in shaded areas, such as woodland gardens.
Dicksonia Antarctica - Planting Characteristics
- Preferred Planting Aspect: Plant in a well-drained, moist, and sheltered spot with dappled shade.
- Frost Hardy: While somewhat frost hardy, in colder Irish climates, it's advisable to provide winter protection with straw or horticultural fleece.
- Fast or Slow Growing: These ferns have a slow to moderate growth rate.
- Pruning Advice: Minimal pruning is needed. Simply remove dead fronds to maintain a tidy appearance.
Dicksonia Antarctica - Planting Instructions in an Irish Climate
- Sowing Time: Plant in spring or early autumn when the soil is still warm.
- Instruction: Dig a hole deep enough to accommodate the root ball and keep the crown at or just above ground level. Water thoroughly after planting.
- Trench Preparation: No trench preparation is necessary for this type of fern.
- Positioning of Plants: Place your Dicksonia Antarctica in a sheltered position, protected from strong winds and excessive sun.
- Plant Spacing: Space these ferns at least 1 to 2 meters apart.
- Pruning: Prune away dead or damaged fronds as needed to maintain a healthy appearance.
- Facts About the Product: Dicksonia Antarctica, also known as the Soft Tree Fern or Tasmanian Tree Fern, is a stunning and exotic addition to Irish gardens. Its large, arching fronds and prehistoric appearance make it a unique and eye-catching choice for any garden setting.
Enhance your garden's appeal with the beauty and charm of Dicksonia Antarctica. Its striking fronds and evergreen nature will add a touch of the exotic to your outdoor space. Order yours today and enjoy the timeless allure of this remarkable tree fern.
- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
- Secure payments
We operate our own delivery service within 12km of the garden centre for €15, for this service we can deliver you any item from Windyridge.
Outside of this radius we out source couriers, we cannot unfortunately ship a lot of bulkier items such as large pots, composts and many of our more delicate living things.
An Post Delivery, Seeds & books - €1.50
Standard Parcel via An Post* €6.00
Local Delivery, 12km of Windyridge - €15.00
Pallet Nationwide** - €49.00**This will be automatically added to your cart for BBQ's and larger items